We all want to be our best selves, right? At any given time in our lives we are working towards something to be better. When you were in school or college you were working on bettering your grades or becoming more skilled at a sport. Now you’re in your late 20’s or early 30’s and you are working at paying down debt, saving for a house, or getting more organized in your life. We are continuously evolving and changing to make things better for ourselves.
To be better or more skilled at something we have to dedicate time to it. Hate to break it to you, you won’t just wake up one day and be a master of something you haven’t put any effort towards. Let’s talk about what steps you can do to become a better you.
- Take care of yourself. This is numero uno and vital to anything and everything you want to do in life. If you neglect yourself, don’t take time to recharge, don’t fill your own glass – how can you possibly do more? Be sure to take time for yourself. Take 10 minutes a day to do yoga, meditate, or be alone in a quiet space that brings you joy. Take half a day to get your nails done and pamper yourself. Take a bath filled with bubbles and candles all around. Whatever it is you need to do, do it.
- Write out your goals. Having your goals down on paper, seeing it in your own writing, has something special about it. Putting pen to paper makes them real. Write out a plan to help you achieve that goal. Whether a numbered list, bullet points, or free flowing thoughts works best for you, just write it down.
- Believe in yourself. You are capable, competent, and driven. You can achieve anything. Put in the work and eventually you will see the fruits of your labor.
- Failure is your friend. I used to loathe failing. Honestly, it still scares me. When you fail, it’s a beautiful reminder that you are trying; you are not stagnant, you are flowing and moving things in your life towards your goals. If you fail, stop, reroute your approach and try again.
- Use resources. Friends, Family, the Internet and more. Use the resources around you. Google is a mighty place with infinite answers. Gather things, people, and supplies to help you achieve your goals. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You might be surprised at how many people want to help you succeed!
- Be patient. Your goals and changing your life will not happen over night. Be patient, take your time, appreciate the small victories and celebrate each accomplishment.
Have you written down your goals yet? What are you waiting for? Go get them tiger!